ASHLAND, NE (April 17, 2017) – Helicopter Day, sponsored by Midwest Medical Transport, is an indoor and outdoor event held at the Strategic Air Command and Aerospace Museum in celebration of aviation careers and the history of helicopters.
Spectators will be able to watch in wonder as, Midwest Medical Transportation, Nebraska National Guard, law enforcement, commercial and private helicopters fly over the horizon and land right in front them. The helicopters begin their decent at 10am. The Nebraska National Guard will land first with a UH-72 Lakota, UH-60 Black Hawk, and CH-47 Chinook. After all helicopters land, spectators can visit with helicopter pilots, including medical and law officials, about their careers and get a firsthand view of each aircraft. Helicopter rides will be available through Galaxy Enterprises of Holdrege, Neb. on a first-come-first-serve basis.
Activities will take place inside the museum from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., including a drone workshop on flight and safety, free helicopter balloon sculptors, a make-and-take project, and hands-on activities offered by sponsors.
Outdoor festivities include:
- From 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. helicopters will make their landing.
- Helicopter rides, offered by Galaxy Enterprises, will begin at 11am and will operate until 4pm. Galaxy Enterprises will take reservations the day of the event on a first come basis. The price per person is $60 for cash, or $65 for credit card, for an estimated eight-minute ride.
Indoor festivities include:
- Drone workshop sponsored by Midwest Performance Flyers.
- Free balloon helicopter hat made by balloon artist.
- Midwest Medical Transportation will offer a family activity and the museum will offer a make-and-take activity.
- Theater shows are free and include Crazy Engineering: Mars Helicopter – presenting the challenges of helicopter motion on Mars, The Future Goes Vertical – presented by NASA on the future of rotorcraft.
- Admission applies to indoor activities – $12 adult; $6 youth over 4.